Wednesday 18 June 2014

Memory Lane....New Zealand

New Zealand is gorgeous!

It's rugged beauty is breath-taking and if you haven't visited, i reckon you really should add it to your bucket list. I've especially enjoyed hiking through the mountains and the South Island is my favourite.

My first visit must have been over a decade ago and my sister and i travelled from the Bay of Plenty on the North Island (think.....dolphins, islands and lush, green vegetation), down to Kaikoura on the South Island (think.....fur seals, sperm whales and rugged, snow capped mountains by the sea). It was on this trip that i collected a handful of fabrics that reminded me of the places i'd seen.


When i got home to Australia, i designed a quilt based on blocks that reminded me of my favourite, inspiration-packed New Zealand locations and used the fabrics i'd purchased together with some from my stash to make it up.





Today, my New Zealand quilt (titled 'Adventures in Middle Earth, because of New Zealands perfect Lord of the Rings film locations), sits on our lounge ready for snuggling. The colours still remind me of New Zealand and our various travels there. It has been washed dozens of times and has faded quite a bit, but the swirls of quilting (thank to Carol Ikin :-)) have held it together well and it's in very good shape.





My thoughts now turn to our next travels to New Zealand and when we will introduce The Hurricane to one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Plum and June 2014 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop

It's also week 3 of the Plum and June 2014 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop, so if you'd like to see some more, new and inspirational quilting blogs, here is just a selection...


Camelia @ Camelia Elliott
Nurdan @ Hug a Bit Quilts
Lori @ Sew Psychd
Kitty @ Night Quilter
Christina @ Wips and Tuts
Marcia @ Cozy Capatiller
Jasmine @ Quilt Kisses

Linking up with Gemma for I Quilt Thursdays at Pretty Bobbins and AmandaJean for Finish it up Friday

7 comments:

  1. I love that quilt. I'd love to visit New Zealand. Being Welsh and a huge rugby fan I've always wondered whether I could save enough to visit and watch an All Blacks match. Maybe one day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventures in Middle Earth looks fantastic! Gorgeous colors! I love the design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name you gave the quilt! I hope that if you take another trip it inspires another wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so beautiful! I love your design! You can tell where your inspiration came from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to remember a vacation and a fabulous source of inspiration! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt. I recognise some of the fabric, Mum visited New Zealand and Australia about 12 yrs ago and brought me some fat quarters home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun quilt! Your name for it is so clever. Living in the U. S., I haven't traveled as far as that, but from everything I've heard, it's a gorgeous country. Thanks for the little taste.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Wahoo.....I'm always stoked to receive comments so thanks so much for taking the time.

Wishing you many happy quilting hours!