Thursday 6 March 2014

Portuguese placemats

Over the last few weeks i've been busy making placemats. I want to give something special to my family on our up coming trip to Portugal at the end of the month. They've been a great opportunity to try out a few new techniques and enjoy quilting something that isn't too large.

So each afternoon when my little boy is asleep, i head off to the dining room, where i create and whip up something fresh to give.

This was one of the first and i like the colours and design very much. I based the design on the 'Mondrian' block designed by Jamie Moilanen that i saw in Modern Blocks.


I chose to quilt some spirals on it and had some fun doing them....


The next one i made used some Alexander Henry fabric i had left over from a skirt i'd made my sister for Christmas a couple of years ago.


Making and sewing the uneven strips was harder than i imagined, but i based the layout on the beautiful red 'Two by Six' block designed by Natalie Hardin in Modern Blocks. I think the quilting pattern turned out quite nicely.




2 comments:

  1. Both place mats are just gorgeous! Love the modern style. But especially the quilting! Very fine finishes. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Lorna, yours is officially my first comment, as I am just building my own blog now. So that makes me a blog baby.....
      Hope I can make a blog as nice and fun as yours.....

      Delete

Wahoo.....I'm always stoked to receive comments so thanks so much for taking the time.

Wishing you many happy quilting hours!